Ensuring that a child's eyes are regularly tested is crucial. Poor vision can affect everything from a child's ability to learn in school to successfully participating in extracurricular activities. Many kids will need eyeglasses to see properly. At Alabama Eye Clinic in Talladega, we can provide expert eye care and kids eyeglasses for your child.
Find an Optometrist in Talladega
When looking for an optometrist for your child, you want to find a trained professional with experience working with children. Children should receive a vision screening and an eye exam before their first birthday. Annual visits to an optometrist or eye doctor should occur every year after. After a comprehensive eye exam, an eye doctor may determine that your child needs glasses. The following are signs that your child may need eyeglasses:
- Using a Finger to Assist With Reading
- Tilting Their Head or Squinting
- Excessively Rubbing Their Eyes
- Sitting Too Close to Screens
- Sensitivity to Light
- Having Difficulty in School
- Experiencing Headaches
What to Expect When Visiting an Optometrist
The following are some tests an optometrist may conduct when examining a child.
- Pupil Function: An eye doctor will test how a child's pupils react to light.
- Eye Movement: This involves observing eye alignment and how well a child's eyes can track various objects.
- Visual Acuity: This tests how accurately a child can see from various distances. For kids who can't read, they'll be asked to identify different shapes and objects.
- Visual Skills Assessment: These tests rule out certain conditions such as Amblyopia (lazy eye) and Strabismus (eyes that cross).
Choosing the Best Eyeglasses
There are a few tips you'll want to keep in mind when choosing the best eyeglasses for kids.
- The higher the prescription, the thicker the lens will normally be. This means you'll want to avoid glasses with large frames.
- While metal frames are becoming more durable and lightweight, plastic frames are often a good choice for kids, particularly younger children.
- It's important to make sure that glasses have a correct bridge fit. Since a young child's nose is not fully developed, some glasses may tend to slide.
- If possible, you'll want to purchase a backup pair of glasses for your child.
Visit Alabama Eye Clinic in Talladega, AL
At Alabama Eye Clinic, we provide a wide range of services, including contact lens exams, eye and vision exams, and eyeglasses for children. We also treat glaucoma, blurry vision, macular degeneration, and corneal disorders. When looking for an optometrist near you, you'll want to visit Alabama Eye Clinic in Talladega, AL. Contact us to schedule an appointment today.